Thursday, February 16, 2006

Speaking Bluntly

I need to get something off my chest.

Now, I don't particularly like the music of James Blunt.

I've nothing against the man himself - he's clearly a well bought up young chap who helps the old at every given opportunity, thinks that awful things should be banned and cleans behind his ears.

However.

The hook to 'You're beautiful' is really catchy. So, I've kind of gotten into the habit of singing it in a high pitched comedy voice in a piss-taking sort of way. It makes me laugh. I have a low laughter threshold. Many things make me laugh. Cats running into french windows on comedy out take shows. Kelly Holmes trying to ice skate. The word 'pantry'.

Anyway. I sing my comedy song and feel cheerful. All is well. But the thing is, the hooks stays with me, and then I find myself singing it properly. And whereas I would never dream of singing my comedy version in public, by the time I am with people again, the normal version is stuck in my head and out it pops. And then people think I like it and take the piss out of me. So then I try to explain about the comedy high pitched version and the cats and the french windows and the word 'pantry' and all of that. And they just don't believe me. So I am becoming known as the man that likes the James Blunt song in the office - in fact it's worse, I am becoming knows as the man who denies liking the James Blunt song which means he must really like it and be ashamed of the fact.

I don't like it, in fact. So I can't be ashamed of liking it. But at the same time, if I did like I wouldn't be ashamed of liking it. So I am not ashamed about not not liking it and nor am I ashamed about not liking liking it. Or something.

I might just start telling people I do like it. In fact, perhaps I have liked it all along and have been internalising my shame by means of turning it into a comedy high pitched version which makes me sing the proper version which when other people hear it makes them ask me about it so I have to talk about James Blunt even though I didn't think I wanted to but secretly did.

Am I in love with James Blunt?

2 Comments:

Blogger Lisa Rullsenberg said...

Hilariously tortured post! I've just linked to you...

1:41 pm  
Blogger c&v said...

TY - and I've linked to you too! - it's like total linkage...

4:09 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home