Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Winterval

It's the shortest day today. Hip hip hurrah. From now on in it's getting lighter by about 2 minutes every day. Woo hoo.

I got to work at a ridiculous time this morning, but at least it meant I was able to catch the sunrise over the town hall during a break from the misery...

It was very pretty.

It was so nice that it momentarily made me forget the giant inflatable Santa with a space shuttle stuck in his sack that has been appended to the historic clock tower every year in recent memory. Why a space shuttle?

Oh well.



I have been continuing my escape fantasies at regular intervals throughout the day, and today formulated a plan to retrain as a lawyer, dedicate my life to the fight against injustice and discover a case against a major multinational that nobody thought I could win, commit myself to it night and day while single handedly raising a family, and come out triumphant at the end. This may have had something to do with a recent dream I had about Susan Sarandon and Tim Robbins - I won't bore you with the details, suffice to say it involved sandals and facial hair - so perhaps does not count as an officially possible escape plan that could actually happen. But I don't care about that. I want out.


I also have to schedule in a haircut, a trip to buy champagne for business colleagues, a few hours to clean my apartment and prepare for when my dad comes to spend the night next week, and another few hours to run around some random shops buying last minute presents for my mother and sister.

Despite this, I really do love Christmas - not the religious stuff or the festivities - just the enforced family time, the banal, repetitive rituals and timings, the lack of power to change things or instigate novelty - basically, I get to be a passive, child-like being again for three days and it's great. I mean, I do a lot of the cooking and running around and general patting and stroking that has to be done, but it's all so easy and known and expected. I love that.

1 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

Do You Want To Change Your Life... Do you need help in the following areas: Finances , Finances, Finances, Finances , Finances , Finances , and Finances ... Then quit procrastinating and Become the person you want to be.. I am Glad that you let me post on your site.. My goal in life is to teach people how to succeed in life with simple goal setting and motivation techniques....

8:43 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home