Monday, August 29, 2005

Let slip the somethings of whatever...

It took me about five minutes to decide which font to post in. Is this normal?

Oh well.

I never got all the way through Julius Caesar, but I always remembered the 'Let slip the dogs of war' quotation. Maybe because I thought 'Cry 'Havoc'' was such a great phrase - despite not knowing what it meant at the time. Maybe I will regret starting this blog, but at least I can be pretty certain that war won't be one of the consequences of it. More likely less sleep and an extra couple of ounces of guilt when I forget to update it.

I've been teetering on the verge of starting a blog for a few months now - and getting a huge amount of pleasure from reading blogs for a lot longer. One of the reasons I've finally started is that I never felt qualified to respond to blogs before even though I wanted to - because I didn't have one of my own. Sort of like when 'part time' smokers scrounge your last cigarette or someone turning up to dinner with half a bottle of wine, I thought it would be a bit of a cheek to join in with nothing to offer in return. So here it is.

I toyed with the idea of focussing on international relations, environmental activism or nanotechnology for this blog - but then settled on chatting as my preferred M.O. I really believe that chatting is a highly underrated skill, and indeed, in the right hands, can actually be an art form, virtue and career all at the same time. It's one of those devalued words, much like gossip. If I could ever be bothered, I might decide to construct an elaborate defence of chat and gossip using a post-feminist, Lacanian framework to reinscribe the value of the transfer of the marginal, ephemeral and seemingly negligable content of gossip between social agents in a capitalist society. But I'm pretty certain I'll never have enough spare life. However, I do have a half day off work next week to wait in for a man to come and check that my gas meter has been capped, so you never know.

Anyway, back to chatting. Chatting can be done almost anywhere and by almost anyone. I don't think that, say, Tom Cruise or Gordon Brown, for example, do much chatting. I have a sneaking suspicion that George W. Bush does quite a bit, and I bet Bill Clinton was great for a chat. The new Pope, again, is not someone I can see chatting on a daily business. Being God's represenative on earth might preclude the requisite lightness of mind needed to chat effectively. I don't mean light as in dumb or flaky, but light as in effervescent and inquisitive.

I should stop here. Oscar Wilde once said 'I never talk scandal. I only talk gossip.... Scandal is gossip made tedious by morality.' - Lady Windermere's Fan
And I agree. I think.

OK. I'll finish off with some basics. I am a man in my thirties living and working in Manchester (UK). I want to blog as a means of using up all the words I can't quite bring myself to say during the day and to see if my life looks the same from the outside as it does from within. Oh yeah, and to chat...

1 Comments:

Blogger Lors said...

ooooh, chat chat chat ...

How marvellous ... I think you'll find, however, that Lady Windermere's fan looks like this:

http://www.editec.net/misc/fan.gif

Much more practical than words for wafting cool air ... though you could print said play out & fold it prettily ...

Blog on!

Lx

6:32 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home